Human-Centred Computing Lab
Building 11, Faculty of Information Sciences & Engineering
University of Canberra, University Drive, Bruce, ACT 2617 Australia
Office : 11B31
Email : Jyoti[dot]Dhall[at]canberra[dot]edu[dot]au
UPDATE : Joined the University of Waterloo as Postdoc!
Hello! I am
a PhD student at Human-Centred Computing lab at University of Canberra (UC), Australia. I am supervised by Prof. Roland Goecke and Prof. Michael Wagner. Before starting my PhD, I worked as a research assistant with Vision and Sensing Group, University of Canberra. I also worked as a consultant at a leading EDA company Cadence Design Systems, India prior to coming to Australia. My current research revolves around application of pattern recognition, computer vision and machine learning techniques with a focus on affect based multimedia analysis.
- Our Group-level emotion classification paper accepted as Oral at FG 2015. [Jaunary 2015]
- Organized EmotiW Challenge 2014 alongwith Abhinav Dhall, Roland Goecke, Karan Sikka and Tom Gedeon at ACM ICMI 2014.
- Won the Fiorella de Rosis award for best doctoral consortium paper at ACII 2013, Geneva. [5 Sep, 2013]
- Gave a talk at ‘Automatic Understanding of Human Behaviour’ group at University of Nottingham. [17 July, 2013]
- Visited Dr. Nadia Berthouze and her group at University College London and presented my work. [4 June, 2013]
- Visiting Dr. Hatice Gunes at MMV group in Queen Mary University of London. [1 May, 2013 – July, 2013]
- Visited Dr. Carlos Busso at MSP Lab. [17 April, 2013]
- Gave a talk at Face Perception Research Lab at University of Texas, Dallas. [17 April,2013]
- Abhinav Dhall, Roland Goecke & I are organizing 1st EmotiW 2013 (Emotion Recognition in the Wild) Challenge at ACM ICMI 2013.
- Attened Google Anita Borg Scholarship 2012 AU/NZ retreat as a finalist at Google Sydney. [29 Nov, 2012 -30 Nov,2012]
- Visited Prof. Jeff Cohn at The Affect Analysis Group at University of Pittsburgh. [29 Oct, 2012 – 9 Nov, 2012]
- Visited MPLab at UCSD. [28 Sep, 2012 – 19 Oct, 2012]
- An article in the magazine NewScientist covering ‘Automatic Depression Analysis’ research from various groups around the world (feat. my work). [NewScientist] [28 Mar, 2013]
- Some media attention to our Depression project (feat. Dr. Roland Goecke). [SMH] [27 Feb, 2013]
- Girl Geek Coffees (GGC) at University of Canberra story. [GGC@UC] [13 July, 2012]
- Multimodal Approach for Depression Analysis – The objective is to devise a novel multimodal framework for depression detection by integrating information from single-modal channels. The project explore facial dynamics analysis, head movements, upper body gestures, EEG measures and speech characteristics related to affect, in patients with major depressive disorders.
- Group Expression Analysis – This project explores the scene emotion based on modelling the social features of a scene. Further group expression method is used to solve the problem of candid shot selection and event summarization based on emotion.
- Pose Estimation & Self Occlusion Detection in Human Body – The objective of this project is to detect self occluded parts in human body and rectify the pictorial structure and hence improve pose estimation.
- Sports Player Tracking – This project investigate applicability of Active Appearance Models (AAM) for tracking player’s body in video sequences captured using low resolution camera.
- The More the Merrier: Analysing the Affect of a Group of People In Images [PDF]
Abhinav Dhall, Jyoti Joshi, Karan Sikka, Roland Goecke and Nicu Sebe, IEEE International Confernce on Automated Faces & Gesture Recognition (FG) 2015. (Oral)
- Emotion Recognition In The Wild Challenge 2014: Baseline, Data and Protocol [PDF]
Abhinav Dhall, Roland Goecke, Jyoti Joshi, Karan Sikka and Tom Gedeon, ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI) 2014.
- Automatic Prediction of Perceived Traits using Visual Cues under Varied Situational Context [PDF]
Jyoti Joshi, Hatice Gunes, Roland Goecke, International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), 2014. (Oral)
- Emotion Recognition In The Wild Challenge 2013 [PDF]
Abhinav Dhall, Roland Goecke, Jyoti Joshi, Michael Wagner, Tom Gedeon, International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI), 2013.
- Diagnosis of Depression by Behavioural Signals: A Multimodal Approach [PDF]
Nick Cummins, Jyoti Joshi, Abhinav Dhall, Vidhyasaharan Sethu, Roland Goecke and Julien Epps, Audio Video Emotion Recognition Challenge (AVEC), ACM Multimedia 2013.
- Relative Body Parts Movement for Automatic Depression Analysis [PDF]
Jyoti Joshi, Abhinav Dhall, Roland Goecke, Jeff Cohn, Proc. of International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction (ACII) 2013. (Oral)
- An Automated Framework for Depression Analysis [PDF]
Jyoti Joshi, Doctoral Consortium, Proc. of International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction(ACII) 2013.
- Multimodal Assistive Technologies for Depression Diagnosis and Monitoring [PDF]
Jyoti Joshi, Roland Goecke, Abhinav Dhall, Sharifa Alghowinem, Michael Wagner, Michael Breakspear, Julien Epps, Gordon Parker, Journal on MultiModal User Interfaces, Springer (Accepted).
- Can body expressions contribute to automatic depression analysis? [PDF]
Jyoti Joshi, Roland Goecke, Michael Breakspear and Gordon Parker, IEEE International Confernce on Automated Faces & Gesture Recognition (FG) 2013. (Oral)
- Finding Happiest Moments in a Social Context [PDF]
Abhinav Dhall, Jyoti Joshi, Ibrahim Radwan and Roland Goecke, Proc. of Asian Conference on Computer Vision (ACCV), 2012.
- Neural-Net Classification For Spatio-Temporal Descriptor Based Depression Analysis [PDF]
Jyoti Joshi, Abhinav Dhall, Roland Goecke, Michael Breakspear and Gordon Parker, IAPR International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), 2012 (Oral).
- Regression Based Pose Estimation with Automatic Occlusion Detection and Rectification [PDF]
Ibrahim Radwan, Abhinav Dhall, Jyoti Joshi and Roland Goecke, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo.(ICME), 2012 [Nominated for the best paper award] (Oral)
- Depression Analysis : A Multimodal Approach [PDF]
Jyoti Joshi, Doctoral Consortium at ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI), 2012.